YMCA Reading is an independent organisation which provides services tailored to the needs of our local community.
Alongside residential supported accommodation for 40 young people, we offer a wide range of services and activities, including:
- Woodwork sessions in our workshop for our residents and also pupils in years 6-11 from local schools at risk of exclusion or who have been excluded. We work in partnership with our local Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) to deliver education to excluded pupils.
- Weekly sports and leisure activities such as football, basketball, archery, boxing, judo and dance club. We also have our own football team that plays at quite a good level.
- Summer youth activity programme. Previous years activities have included: paint balling, rock-climbing, ice-skating, an Eid and Henna party, land yachting, a talk about moving-on, sexual health drop-in, cooking classes, film-making, street dance sessions, pampering sessions, DVD nights, graffiti workshop, football, music studio sessions, X-Box competition, table tennis competition and cinema/theater trips.
- Regular arts and crafts activities.
- Support to residents to engage them in volunteering opportunities, training, education, and employment.
- Special events such as Black History Month celebrations.
- IT Suite available for resident and community use. We work in partnership with Reading Borough Councils New Directions team to offer community IT courses.
- Running a community cafe (Parkside Cafe) which provides training opportunities for young people and a space for the community to come together.
- Hosting Pine Cones and Fir Tree older peoples groups.
- Hosting and supporting 1st Reading YMCA Sea Scouts group.